Hi there Chimp Guardians & Chimp Champions!
Today, we will be making some ANZAC biscuits for ANZAC the chimpanzee.
ANZAC lives in Jane Goodall Institute chimp rehabilitation centre called Tchimpounga Rehabilitation Centre in Africa. She was rescued from poachers and now lives happily with her other chimpanzee friends.
You can help too by making these vegetarian and palm oil free cookies and raise funds at your school and joining Roots & Shoots Chimp Champions Program!
All the kids, classes, or schools who raise more than $50 will receive a Chimp Champion certificate and ANZAC’s story!
You can get an information pack about the bake sale and the program by visiting
Chimp Guardian ANZAC Cookies Instructions
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
Oven Temperature: 180C / 350F
Ingredients (Makes approx. 14 cookies)
1 cup of Plain Flour
1 cup of Sugar
1 cup of Rolled Oats
1 cup of Coconut (Desiccated)
115g of Butter*
2 tablespoons of Boiling Water
2 tablespoons of Golden Syrup
1 teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda
1 Chocolate pen or Coco Powder/Milo†
1 Roll of Baking Paper
1 Carboard paper
2 Oven trays
1 large mixing bowl
1 Whisk or wooden spoon
*vegan alternative – vegan margarine (e.g. Nuttelex)
†use palm oil free brands
Instructions (*step may require adult supervision or help)
1. Preheat oven at 180C & line the oven tray with baking paper
2. In a large bowl add the flour, sugar, oats and coconut and stir until well-mixed.
3. In a saucepan heat the butter and golden syrup together until melted.
a. *Mix the bicarbonate of soda with the boiled water and carefully add to the melted butter mixture and stir. (Be careful as it will bubble and foam up quite a bit.)
b. *Pour the butter mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until you have a loose cookie dough.
4. Form the dough into ping-pong ball sized balls and place onto the cookie tray (Allow plenty of room between each ball as the cookies do spread.)
a. *Place into the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
5. Make stencils while cookies are cooking –
a. On some cardboard paper, draw the stencil chimp faces
b. Cut out their face outline, eyes, nose, and mouth (Don’t forget their little ears!) Some samples are below.
6. *Once cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly on the cookie tray before removing to a cooling rack.
7. Chimp decorating – Once cooled,
a. Chocolate pen version –
i. Using the chocolate pen, draw ANZAC the chimp (Some samples below)
b. Chocolate powder version –
i. Place the chimp face stencil onto the cookie and powder
ii. Remove the stencil gently